Hello, I've stopped posting here and taken up posting at www.QuasiFarmer.com Please come follow me there.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

A sad day

I met many great people this past spring at the Eisenhower Fellowship Foundation's Opening Seminar, people who I know will be world leaders in the future.  Every one of them was friendly, engaging and brilliant in their own way.  Greg King however, along with his wife Catherine, was an exceptional individual and he stood out in my mind, even among such an esteemed group.  Maybe it was the reminiscing about New Zealand, a country that I had the honor of calling home for almost a year, living only about 20 minutes from where he and his family lived.  Maybe it was the brilliant legal mind, coupled with a true compassion for all people, even those who seem least deserving - he was best known as a criminal defense lawyer for those on trial for murder.  Likely it had something to do with the very late night of karaoke, in Philadelphia where he belted out many a tune with his new found friends, a small but eclectic collection of Eisenhower Fellows.  I spent a total of roughly 8 days with the man, part of a group of almost 30 other people, but he left an indelible mark on me.  It was a pleasure to have known him, even if for a very short period of time.

This morning in a complete fluke (a false hit from a google news search I was doing on something completely different) I learned that he was found dead today.  I cannot imagine the grief his family must be facing, he was only 42 and left behind a wife and two young children.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/high-profile-lawyer-greg-king-very-nice-guy-5193697

http://www.efworld.org/download/summaries/12/Greg%20King_Program%20Summary.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment