Hello, I've stopped posting here and taken up posting at www.QuasiFarmer.com Please come follow me there.

Monday, October 22, 2012

Liz's last free day in Mongolia

So this is an interesting experience. I'm able to write a post for our blog, but I'm unable the load our actual blog page to see what Nate has written as well as all of your comments... So I apologize if any of this is a repeat and thank all of you for your continued interest in what we're up to.

Nate asked that I post some pictures and information about my last day in Mongolia, so let's begin.

Last Thursday, I left Nate behind and I went on an adventure with Mr. T and Mr. S to view the Chinngis Khaan (Mongolian spelling) Monument, Terelj National Park and the beautiful Aryabal Temple located within the park. I think for this particular post, pictures may say more than words but I will do my best to provide both.

The first stop was to be the Chinngis Khaan Monument. However, we made a quick pit stop to get to meet some golden eagles, vultures and camels. A farmer had these animals along the side of the road and for a few thousand tougres (a few dollars) people can take pictures with and touch the animals. I was conflicted about whether or not to do this. But ultimately decided that I would probably never have the chance to hold a golden eagle again, so I went for it. This bird was heavy! and I was reassured that she would not gauge me with her talons (I had a thick mitt around my hand, but nothing like I've seen falconers back home use).

Now on to the monument! Khan on his horse is the largest statue of it's kind (40 meters tall), in the world. Legend has it, that this monument is located on the very spot where Chinngis found a horse whip, which in Mongolian tradition, is an omen for luck and power. For a man that was born holding a blood clot in his hand (Mongolian legend tells that children born with such will be great leaders), you can't help but think he was destined for "great" things.



The monument was built over the course of three years and has quickly become a major attraction. Similar to the Statue of Liberty, tourists are welcomed to ascend this massive stainless steel spectacle and view the panoramic landscape while standing atop the horse's head. Inside the main building where the statue rests, there is a small but impressive museum that houses artifacts from the bronze age (sorry, no pictures allowed as is a private collection). Here's a great article from the NY Times about the monument.



After taking in the views we set off for Terelj National Park. Keep in mind Nate's previous posts about the roads here in Mongolia (they are TERRIBLE, pot holes that will swallow a pick-up truck easily). So a trip that would typically a half hour in the US, takes hours here. The landscape, however, was striking. Flat grazing lands with meandering hills slowly turned into great rocky mountains, we were entering into the Terelj.

Rocky mountain landscape.

Nestled securely in the crevice of a mountain was the Aryabal Temple, a active buddhist sanctuary for meditation and religious studies. We parked at the base of the mountain, the only visitors at securely locked gates. Mr. S smiled climbed between the fence and razor wire  encouraging me to do the same. Those of you that know me, know that I'm a staunch rule follower and the thought of climbing through the fence and the potential for "getting caught" caused me to start to sweat. "No worries" said Mr. S, "you're with me and this is no problem." So reluctantly, yet excitedly, I started to climb.

Pictures do not begin to truly show the beauty of Aryabal and it's surroundings. Nor do photos show exactly how steep the climb to the temple is. Let's just say that by the time I was halfway to the monument, my legs were burning and my lungs were begging for a break (Mongolian chest cold/sinus infection + steep hike + fresh air = what Mr. S calls good Mongolian medicine, no extra charge). How strange to be in such a beautiful place, yet see no other people, tourists or monks.

As you climb the hill, you pass several signs with Buddhist words of wisdom on how to be a good human being. You cross the "Bridge to Heaven" (a rope bridge) to reach the base of the stairs to the temple (108 steep and narrow stairs to the top, an important number in the Buddhist religion). It was at this point we realized we were being followed. As we stood in front of the locked door to the temple a young woman approached us. I asked Mr. S if we were in trouble. He just smiled and said "No, this woman is the cashier." After a nominal fee, the young woman unlocked the door and encouraged us to spend as much time as we'd like. I'm a lucky girl to experience this place in such an independent and special way. It's easy to see why this temple is cherished by the Buddhist community and why so many people seek it out for reflection and meditation. Please enjoy the pictures below. When we're able to use Facebook again, I'll add a photo album and link it to a new post.



Taking a break before ascending the 108 steps to the top.

Almost to the top. By this point I'm praying to make it :)

Prayer wheels around three sides of the building. 

Inside the temple. Along the tables in the center is where the monks sit during services while the lama stands in front of the altar. 

Looking back over the valley.


Another view of the temple as we were leaving.



No comments:

Post a Comment